
There are some who are strong believers in fate, astrology and even the occult. Others simply call these warnings nothing more than simple quirks of random chance, as the individual is the one who controls their own destiny. Now as for myself, I may lean toward fate every once in awhile but I believe we our given an opportunity (fate) and our choices distinguish the end result… however I am quick to take heed and never dismiss those multi apparent “co-incidences’.
Today’s journey did indeed lead me down the path of the occult as I was looking to purchase a boxed set of the Harry Potter series for Ryan (on Blu-Ray). Some may question whether my son was truly the recipient of this gift or if it was a simple ploy of the father to further his Blu-Ray collection using the son as the excuse. Nevertheless, regardless of what my wife says, the joy on Little Ryan’s face will be genuine come Christmas morning. Research is the key to any good purchase and knowing where to buy can save you a few extra bucks, which in this case turned out to be a Five Spot as Target Online was slightly cheaper than Best Buy. The lowest price was $104.95 and with Price in hand I prepared to leave the house towards the destination of Best Buy. Note to reader: Best Buy is notorious for price matching and since I am able to accumulate points that I can redeem for $5 Best Buy Reward Bucks, it made sense to purchase at this retail giant, that is, provided they would price match the Target’s ad.
Prior to my leaving I received a call from my step father Cliff who asked if he could bring Pepe (my Mom & Nonnie’s new cat) over for a check up. I said sure but when he asked what my cross streets were I realized he had dialed my number by mistake instead of the Cat Care Clinic… where Pepe’s pungent air production could be treated. Was this a portent of things to come? Or was it simply a mistake by a kind elderly man who simply pushed the wrong buttons?
Regardless, I vowed to not be swayed from my quest and left the house but this distraction caused me to forget the $100 Best Buy gift card… hmmm another sign? I arrived at Best Buy, parked my car in a semi-full parking lot and walked toward the store. To my horror I saw not 1, not 2, but 3 people walking out with the Harry Potter Blu-Ray gift set. Time stopped as this took me back to the Vizio 50” Plasma fiasco on the day after Thanksgiving. Let’s see Cliff was with me (1), we got the $100 Best Buy gift card then (2), Best Buy was involved (3), we saw 3 people walking out with those TVs (4) and we ended up getting my Mom a cat (5). If the display stack was empty my déjà vu would be complete. Time began to move forward as I hurriedly moved into the store. As rushed as I was, I still had time to say hello to the Best Buy greeter and thanked him for welcoming me to Best Buy and let him know that if I indeed had questions, I would not hesitate to ask. As I walked to the display area passing many other Blu-Rays, none of which I planned to purchase today, my eyes widened as the product’s intended spot was empty.
Many thoughts went through my head at this time: Why me?; Should I not have filled up Kovu’s water bowl?; Did I have time to run over to check Wal-Mart or Target knowing I would lose out on my Best Buy Rewards bucks? Then one final thought went through my head, it was from my fortune cookie last night “Ask and you shall received”. I turned around and there he was with his back to me a short pudgy Best Buy employee. I tapped him on the shoulder and said “Excuse me, Do you have anymore Harry Potter Blu-Ray gift sets”. He turned around and in his hand was the exact object I was looking for. He said “Congrats, you’re in luck, this is the last copy.” I thanked him and hurried to customer care to complete my Price Match transaction, she was very pleasant and helpful. She even provided me with a copy of the receipt my mother lost for an item we purchased that same fateful date.
I began to ponder that very question as I ordered lunch. My meal came to $3.62 and I handed the girl $10.02 and she gave me back $6.40… the EXACT amount my wife needs to board the BART transportation system!!

No comments:
Post a Comment