When I turned 40 just a few short years ago, I opted for the Exotic Cat as opposed to the Exotic Car or Exotic Cruise. I have always been a fan of big cats (i.e. lions, tigers, leopards not house cats that should be on a diet)... so we got Tecuya who was a 1 year old Bengal in 2006. All was fine with her for well over a year as long as you don't count the Indy 500 episodes, the stalking of the Zeebras (Ryan & Lindsay), and the Midnight Meowing Musicals.
In May of 2007, Tecuya decided her cat box was optional and started finding other places to go. At first, I wasn't too concerned because those optional places were tubs and showers, but the line was crossed in November of 2007 when we caught her doing her business in a corner of the hard wood floors. Though this was a sporadic event, multiple solutions were still instigated to prevent said cat from ending up in the microwave.
Sometime in early January of 2008 it stopped as we figured out the culprit was "cat stress" caused by a cute but demanding 3 1/2 year old. Then in May of 2008 the Tsunami hit, Tecuya sought out greener pastures. Unfortunately the greener pasture was a Hunter Green carpet and not grass (though Muffy does it there too, but she is cut slack as she is 15 years old). Yet, Tecuya would still go in her box the majority of the time.
Normal solutions (both chemical and literal) were not working so I started treating her not as a cat but as a child. I began talking to her and explaining "certain" things. I even had the "talk" with her. Now when she has to go to the bathroom, she comes and meows at me until I follow her to the designaed place. She then does her business and goes back to her 18 hour nap. Sure... some may say it's the Cat Nip Reward, the carpet freshner or the new cat litter, but we all know that a Cat Whisperer has been born.
So you may be asking yourself what the point of this story? Actually there really wasn't any. I just had about 30 minutes to kill before going to bed and thought the title sounded funny.

No comments:
Post a Comment