Friday, December 23, 2011

Day 4 - Sunday - September 25, 2011

Portland, Maine and the "Gorgeous" Lighthouse Tour

At 2 am I was awoken by Pam screaming she was trapped and confused. Her pleading cries came from the bathroom. Once I turned on the light she realized that while going to the bathroom she mistook the shower or spaceship opening for the bathroom exit. This would explain the trapped sensation she was feeling once she closed the alleged bathroom door (aka shower door). For the remainder of that day she would giggle for no reason and say "Honey, I'm trapped in the spaceship!"

Portland was the site of our first tour excursion of the "gorgeous" lighthouses. I say "gorgeous" because our tour guide couldn't help but use that adjective to describe not only the lighthouses, but a fort, the parks, the coastline, the homes and even the current weather. I'm sure there were a few other nouns he used that adjective to describe as well. As usual at the end of the tour he began making a case for a his tip, in which, I almost offered him to "buy a thesaurus". Seriously he was good and provided an informative account of Portland's history, but we already paid a decent price for our excursion... why should we pay extra because someone performed their job? I don't profess to understand the terms of their employment contract with carnival, but too many companies expect the worker's compensation to pass onto the consumer. A great way to maximize their profit! Pam loved all three lighthouses and was able to score a lighthouse charm for her Italian charm bracelet. I enjoyed jumping from rock to rock to reach one lighthouse.

At dinner our friends from Connecticut joined the invisible couple as it was just Pam, me, Rick and the lady who works for the government. I'll find out more tomorrow. They were much more talkative, hopefully soon we'll get their last names so we can add them to our Facebook friend list. The show was a Tribute to Broadway. Excellent. Food and Entertainment are why you take a cruise.

No comments: